Download the best graphical user interface software for version management of GIT on Windows, macOS or Linux …
Git is the most popular tool for managing file and application versions. Git was developed to primarily handle source codes for open source software. Github is now a widely used application among all open source contributors and independent developers. Although Git is primarily a CUI-based application, the GUI can also be configured to work with Git. For new users, the graphical user interface is a great way to master Git operations. If you are also one of them looking for a GUI solution for Git, I have a few options listed below.
What is a Git GUI?
When the Linux kernel was developed open source, the idea of Git first appeared. Using Git, you can organize the versions of the files. In any development project, all the different versions are stored in a distributed way among all the contributors of the project. When a user changes something in the source code or develops something new, the result is saved in a different location, under the same tree structure. The software architect or project manager decides which version should be included in the final version. This is where Git comes into play, where Git makes it easy to manage, edit, and version control Git.
Git works normally using the command line interface. But for a better user experience, less complexity, graphical interfaces have emerged. By using the GUI it becomes easier to navigate and use the Git cPanel. In a simple graphical interface, it can simplify and speed up Git operations on the user side.
Benefits of the Git GUI
When switching from CUI to GUI, there are many benefits to be expected. Some of them are listed below.
- You get to grips with Git UI very quickly.
- Speed up user operations.
- Looks nice and modern
- Training subordinates becomes easier
- Easy drag and drop
- You can focus on the main job, instead of neatly typing
- Get rid of CUI phobia.
The 5 best Git GUIs for Windows, Linux, and macOS
By choosing or comparing among many Git GUIs, you can easily spot which one is best for you by looking at the features provided. Git GUIs are forced to be used to make operations on Git easier and more convenient. So if a provided GUI does not have enough features or an easy to use user interface, then what is the point of such a GUI application?
Additionally, you may spot the licensing and integration differences of several online repositories such as Github or Bitbucket. Take a walk through the discussion below where I spotted some of the important features of the best Git GUIs available on the market.
Sourcetree – GUI for Git
Source Tree has a powerful team of developers behind them, and they provide users with extensive support with their standard Git GUI solution. But Sourcetree Ui is full of features, so it takes a long time to master the app.
- The package is free and available on both the Windows and Mac.
- Commit, Push, Pull or Merge, all commands can be used with just one click.
- You can connect other repositories like Bitbucket, Stash, Microsoft TFS, etc. with Git.
- You can manage your Git repositories from a single tenant, whether it’s hosted or local.
- For extended support, functions such as Patch-Handling, Rebase, Regal and Cherry Picking can be used.
Tower 2.5 – A simple and powerful Git GUI
Just like Sourcetree, Tower also comes with extensive functionality. The tower is well organized and simpler if you compare it to Sourcetree. The latest stable version is 2.5 for Tower, which is popular with users. But Tower is not available for free unlike Sourcetree, which is a downside. Most of the time, Tower is chosen by users because of the simplicity of the user interface.
- You can use the trial version before purchasing.
- Supports Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.
- Has an Undo option using which you undo everything in a project with just one click.
- Drag and drop function available.
- Cloning and reporting is as easy as a click.
- You can automate boring things, using third party scripts.
- Multi-window support is shown.
- Also powered by a built-in difference viewer.
- You can create and apply fixes to files.
Gitkraken – GUI + CLI
Gitkraken is available for the Windows, Linux, and Mac, and can be linked to multiple online repositories. Gitkraken offers an intuitive user interface with a large number of features. Compared to Sourcetree, Gitkraken is not free for personal users. You can use the 7-day free period but then you have to go for a subscription, which ranges from $ 5 to $ 9 per month.
- Gitkraken has a built-in code editor.
- Unlike Tower, Gitkraken is free for open source developers.
- Commit history visualization features.
- Set of counterfeatures provided to avoid merge conflict.
- One-click undo function is added
- Git’s team collaboration and deep integration features are fulfilled.
Giteye – office for Git
Giteye is a very simple yet efficient GUI for Git. If you have little experience with Git CUI, then and are looking for a free Git GUI, Giteye is for you. The Giteye Git graphical interface is available on Windows, OSX and Linux platforms and is supported on 32- and 64-bit systems.
- Supports multiple repositories including Teamforge, Cloudforge, and Github.
- Although Giteye is a proprietary application of collab.net, it is free to use.
- Team collaboration features are included.
- Some of the important benefits are supply chain management, distributed version control.
- Defect tracking, agile planning, code reviews, and authoring services made easy with central visibility features.
Gitbox for macOS
If you are a Git CUI user and want to switch to a GUI, Gitbox is the best option for you. Using Gitbox, you can view the CLI as a clear picture. Gitbox is very easy to use for experienced Git users. Gitbox is free to use on the Windows, but it is a paid app for Mac users.
- Steps, branches, commits, and submodules can all be monitored with the enhanced performance update manager feature.
- Gitbox can fix bugs when cloning URLs, submodule paths with spaces.
- Gitbox can automatically resolve several error messages.
- Auto-recovery from remote servers and visual difference between branches help user track changes.
- Drag and drop and quick preview features are added in the new update.
- Instant synchronization with the file system and smooth integration with Terminal are some of the important features of Giteye.
Using the command line interface, you can take advantage of all the features of Git, but for free. But the GUI is applied to increase the production speed. But for a deeper understanding in many cases you will be forced to use the CUI over and over again. Thus, without learning the basics of Git CUI, it is not possible to use Git professionally just by implementing GUI applications. For faster processing, team collaboration, and increased operational speed, Git GUIs may be a viable choice.