New update gives users simpler and more robust experiences to control their connected homes
Samsung Electronics today announced the release of the next generation of SmartThings, the first technology enabling connected living and guiding the future of IoT. The eponymous Windows mobile and desktop apps now have improved updates. As part of SmartThings’ ongoing commitment to simplifying the connected home experience, the new interface delivers a simpler, more robust user journey and faster load times with an all-new interface.
“We are excited to introduce the new SmartThings experience,” said Jaeyeon Jung, Vice President of Samsung Electronics. “We listened to our customers and invested in our technology to improve the user experience to simplify it. As smart homes continue to grow in popularity, SmartThings is the perfect platform for everyone to enjoy smarter living with connected devices.
New SmartThings interface makes it easier to discover connected home experiences, while ensuring a smooth transition from the previous version of SmartThings. SmartThings’ improved design breaks the app down into five different sections: Favorites, Devices, Life, Automations, and Menu.
- Favorites is the new SmartThings home screen and brings together the most used devices, scenes and services for faster access
- Devices allows users to view and control all devices, connecting TVs, light bulbs, appliances, etc.
- Life is a place to explore the growing world of connected living where users can discover new SmartThings services that transform physical products into meaningful user experiences. Users can experience enhanced features that enhance their overall living experience, such as SmartThings Cooking, a one-stop shop that creates seamless cooking and meal preparation experiences.
- Automations connects devices and allows them to work together and respond to specific conditions in the home, such as a door opening and a light turning on.
- Menu will host additional SmartThings features including SmartThings Labs, Notifications, History, and Settings.
The new interface is available for Android devices starting today, and iOS will follow soon after. This update follows SmartThings’ recent announcement of its Windows app, which provides a similar experience directly from a Galaxy Book and any other Windows PC.
SmartThings continues to double down on improving its technology. Recently, SmartThings announced the integration of the Matter protocol into its ecosystem, maintaining its leadership position as the platform offering the most flexible ways to connect devices, including Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, Zigbee and now Matter. SmartThings’ open platform brings together devices, developers, and services to deliver one of the largest integrated ecosystems. With hundreds of certified brands and millions of active users on the platform, SmartThings facilitates connected living innovations across multiple use cases.
For more information on SmartThings, please visit: www.samsung.com/smartthings.